Friday, August 29, 2008

Would you like that 'normal' sir?


I've just returned from a most amusing dinner out at a Durban restaurant. It's a trendy pizza place (should I name it?) and it was, as I say, a most humourous evening - for all the wrong reasons!

Close friends of mine had wanted to introduce me to friends of theirs, and the couple in question was just lovely: witty and warm. They're also into their food, and when the sewerage smell started wafting towards us the first time, it was a little embarrassing. Sadly, that terrible smell continued to waft in (dominate) throughout the entire evening and the friend of a friend summed it up when he said: "Hey, shit happens!"

The second clanger of the evening was when the young blond male waiter, who obviously sensed the table was full of queens (barring me of course! I was the only real girl in the house) came to get the money. Two of us paid by credit card, which he did niftily at the table with one of those bluetooth machines. He first processed one of the queen's cards, and did not quite know what to say when it came time to ask him if he wanted it budget or straight, and so he said: "Would you like that er... normal?"

'No,' the queen answered, 'straight, please'!

I tell you what, there wasn't a straight face at the table!

No comments: